In general, calculate 15 – 20 minutes roasting time per lb or 35 – 40 minutes per kilo of meat for a bird weighing up to 16lbs*/7.5kg. For a bird over 16lbs, add 12 minutes for each lb over 16 or 26 minutes for each extra kilo. These cooking times are for a pre-heated electric fan-assisted oven at a temperature of 160 – 180 degrees only, which is 350F or gas mark 4. All ovens vary slightly.
Some helpful tips for your perfect Turkey!
- Cook the turkey breast up.
- We recommend covering the skin of the turkey with real Irish butter for added flavour (remove those streaky rashers first and then place them back on the breast of the turkey once you have covered it in butter).
- Cover the turkey with foil.
- Baste every half hour, if possible.
- Remove turkey from the oven with 30 minutes of cooking time left and carefully remove the foil.
- Place back into the oven for the remaining time until the skin is crisp and golden brown.
- Always make sure your cooked turkey is piping hot all the way through, with no pink meat, and all the juices run clear (when thickest part of the leg/breast is pierced with a fork).
- If you are using a meat thermometer, ensure the core temperature of the turkey is 75 degrees Celsius.
- Allow to rest for half an hour before serving and keep it covered if you wish. Enjoy!!
*Note: To convert lbs to kilos, divide your lbs figure by 2.2. To convert kilos to lbs, multiply your kilo figure by 2.2.